Thursday, October 25, 2007

Late at night, crowded street, six children with wooden, shoebox-sized battery packs strapped to their heads. Twin flourescent light tubes protrude 54" straight up from each of the battery packs. The children are walking single file through a festival crowd.

Outside the barbershop, 30 men gather around a 6" black&white TV to catch the cricket match.

Heather greets the baby water buffalo on our street every morning.

I went to the barber, finally. I was terrified, nearly nauseated, but I think he did a good job. Haircuts here end with an amazingly strenuous upper-body massage.

The water we specially ordered smelled terrible and had mosquito larva in it.

We live in a city of 1.2 million people, a city without a public library. The literacy rate here is about 60% at best (strikingly lower for women).

There's also no contemporary dance company in Varanasi, but I think I can do something about that.